Dr. John Oakes will be teaching a class on the Book of Isaiah for the San Diego Church of Christ and for the Bakersfield Church of Christ on five consecutive Sundays beginning Sun. 3/7 at 9:00 Pacific time on zoom at 342 225 5971 pw 857096 The class is open for all and is free. […]
John Oakes is now preaching regularly for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. We will be posting all of his sermons here. Services are now live streamed Sundays at 10:30 at www.bakersfieldchurchofchrist.com See you there. 3/7 Hosea I God’s Unrelenting Love Notes Hosea I Unrelenting PPT Hosea I Unrelenting Love Audio 3/3 One Another II Notes […]
Dr. John Oakes, Dr. Gregg Marutzky and Dr. Steve Kinnard are teaching a class on the twelve “Minor Prophets” of the Old Testament Feb4,5,11,12 for the Los Angeles School of Ministry and Missions. The notes and power point and audio from Dr. Oakes are here. The Minor Prophets Notes LASMM Minor Prophets LASMM PPT […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: I have run across arguments by atheists that say that the universe is not fine-tuned for life, but life is fine tuned to the universe and they describe this in the “puddle” analogy. Basically they say it only appears the world is fine-tuned for life, but in actuality life was able to adapt to […]
Question: Since the early church father Clement who wrote 1st Clement was born in 35 A. D, why did he not talk about personally meeting the 12 apostles or meeting Paul? It is very obvious that Clement will have been a mature adult around 50s. During 50s , St. Paul was still alive plus all […]
Question: We see an incident in the Bible where Jesus says follow me and let the dead bury their own dead when a disciple tells that he should stay to bury his father. Why is Jesus, who is known for compassion, being rude and insensitive here? Answer: This is a good question. I certainly cannot […]
Dr. John Oakes is giving a series of lessons for the Lifeway Church of Christ (part of the Los Angeles Church of Christ) on two successive Wednesdays 12/2 and 12/9 on being In Christ. These lessons come from a book titled In Christ (www.ipibooks.com) Notes, power point and audio are available here: In-Christ Notes […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a series of 16 sermons from the Gospel of John Nov-Feb, 2020/2021 for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. The notes, power point and audio are provided here: John Whole Series Notes John Whole Series PPT John I Woman in Adultery audio John II Meet Jesus Audio John III Jesus in […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a lesson on the Book of Ephesians for the San Diego Church of Christ. Ephesians Coming Home Devo Notes Ephesians Home Devo Audio You May Also Like: Sermon: Ephesians 6 The Christian Armor Class...
- How do I convince my atheist friend evolution does not contradict God. What about my young earth creationist friend that it does not contradict Genesis?
- Why does Jesus almost always tell people not to tell others what he has done, but with Legion, he does the opposite?
- John Oakes Sermons in Bakersfield: Hosea I God’s Unrelenting Love
- The Bible says that we can ask anything in prayer and we will receive it, but experience tells me something quite different. This is confusing. Your thoughts?
- Are ghosts real? Do we have evidence of Jesus’ miracles? According to the big bang model, is God the cause of the big bang?
- Do you agree with skeptics who claim that in discussions about the existence of God, the burden of proof is on the believer?
- Do you act because of something our brain does, or because of something our soul does?
- Some first century people such as Marcion of Sinope or the Docetists did not believe Jesus was a real person. Where did this idea come from?
- Why is Jesus the compassionate one so rude and insensitive to the man who asks if he should stay to bury his father? (Luke 9:59-60)
- What happens to people with mental illness when they die, assuming they do not understand their actions?