I am excited to announce that the last volume of my four-part book series on the history of Christianity is now available for purchase. The volume covers the First Great Awakening and the work of Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley and George Whitefield, the Second Great Awakening and the rise of Evangelicalism, the Stone-Campbell Movement, Adventism, […]
Dr. John Oakes is now leading a new church planting in Merced, California. Please join us 10:00 Sundays at 1195 Pinnacle Dr, Merced or on zoom at 342-225-5971 pw 857096. Also, join us for midweek classes Wed. 7:30 at UC Merced Rm GLCR 120. We will be posting notes, PPTs and audio for all lessons […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a class on the Book of Romans for the West Coast School of Ministry. We will make material available here. Romans Notes Romans PPT Romans Audio I Romans Audio II Romans Audio III You May Also Like: New Testament Survey Class for the West Coast […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: I read that: Deut. 18:15 is about Muhammad because he was similar to Moses, i.e. he brought law to, and war against non-believers, etc. The same is true of Isa. 2:2-3, which is about Mecca, not Zion, because millions of pilgrims visit Mecca but nothing like that happens at Jerusalem. Isa. 42:4 is not […]
Question: Jesus failed to bring universal peace (Mic. 4:1-4; Isa. 11:6-9) because, after him, bloodshed occurred multiple times in Jerusalem. Former dominion was not restored nor was kingship established as predicted (Mic. 4:6-8). What’s your response? Answer: Jesus fulfilled Micah 4:1-4 word-for-word and in detail. He died to establish the Church, which is the Mountain […]
Questions: I have a few questions concerning baptism and repentance. For baptism my 3 questions are: If someone has repented and has made the decision to be baptized and make Jesus Lord of their life and is on the way to their baptism, and tragically dies in a car accident, is there any way to […]
Dr. John Oakes is doing a missionary teaching trip to West Africa Feb 16-Mar 5, 2023. He will be posting all or nearly all of his lessons, outlines and ppts here. Great Bible Study Time Notes Great Bible Study PPT Great Bible Study Audio Reliability of the Bible notes Reliability of […]
Dr. John Oakes is giving a lecture using his book In Christ (www.ipibooks.com) for churches in Worcester and Providence titled “In Christ the Veil Is Removed.” Wed. 1/25/2023 7:30 EST on zoom. The notes, power point, and, eventually the audio are posted here. In Christ the Veil is Removed Notes In Christ the Veil […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a lecture on God and Science at UC Merced for the Alpha Omega club Feb. 2, 2023. PPT and audio are here: Science and the Bible PPT God and Science Audio You May Also Like: God and Science at Bakersfield College Does science prove that miracles are real? God and […]
Subscribe for the Latest Updates
- Sermons in Merced by Dr. John Oakes Mark VI Jesus and Discipleship
- If Mary was a devout woman, then why did she doubt Gabriel when she was told she would give birth as a virgin? Is this evidence of Christian fabrication of Is 7:14?
- Some say that the miracles in the Bible simply reflect the kinds of myths common at the time, and are therefore not true. Your response? Also, what about Christianity simply being a useful “crutch?”
- Did Jesus have two fathers, as mentioned in Luke 1:32–both God and David? Why did Christians make him a deity?
- The Jewish prophecies are corrupted, and the Jews fabricated the idea of a “King like David.” Your response?
- If the Jewish priests knew the biblical criteria for a true prophet, then why were there so many false prophets in Israel?
- Is the New Covenant everlasting? Will Christians be under the New Covenant in heaven?
- When did worship of Mary start?
- Rabbi Mark Solomon says that we have no way of knowing the authorship of any OT book. All were based on oral teaching. Your response?
- What is your response to Bernard Duhm’s criticisms of the Bible that none of its prophetic writings are reliable?