John Oakes is now preaching regularly for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. We will be posting all of his sermons here. Services are now live streamed Sundays at 10:30 at www.bakersfieldchurchofchrist.com See you there. 1/27 John XII Glorification of the King notes John XII PPT 1/20 Ephesians Coming Home Devo Notes Ephesians devotional PPT Ephesians […]
Dr. John Oakes did an exegesis assignment for his masters degree program. The assignment is posted here. Exegesis Hosea 11.1 – 12.6 Here is a lesson from the same passage given for a singles devotional. Hosea 11:1-12:6 Notes Hosea 11:1-12:6 Audio […]
Dr. John Oakes is giving a series of lessons for the Lifeway Church of Christ (part of the Los Angeles Church of Christ) on two successive Wednesdays 12/2 and 12/9 on being In Christ. These lessons come from a book titled In Christ (www.ipibooks.com) Notes, power point and audio are available here: In-Christ Notes […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: We have plenty of evidence that the world didn’t start with an original couple, but Genesis says that it did. What are your thoughts on this? Answer: Actually, the evidence says that the universe started about 13.5 billion years before there were any people, and the earth began about 4.6 billion years before there […]
Question: How did Moses know what to write in Genesis? If we say God revealed things to Moses, why did he write allegorical things and why did he use literary figures? Answer: I have no reason to believe that Moses wrote Genesis. This is a tradition which has been accepted by many believers for a […]
Question: How would you respond to people who say that evolutive processes ( like the creation of stars and animal evolution) need no God, and therefore who reject the idea of God on that basis? Answer: I believe that the processes of star-formation and animal evolution are natural processes which proceed according to the natural […]
Dr. John Oakes, along with his very good friends and colleagues, Dan Conder and Kedron Jones are teaching a series of three classes on Sat. 11/7, 11/14 and 11/21 at 9:00 Pacific Standard Time on answering the hard questions. Here is the link to register for the class: https://event.webinarjam.com/register/37/8rr9qan5 Topics include Why is there suffering […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a class on Modernism and Postmodernism for the Dacca Church of Christ in Bangaladesh Saturday 10/24/2020. The class is not necessarily a condemnation of either modernism or postmodernism, but discusses the strengths and weaknesses of both, as well as where they fall short of being helpful to a Christian worldview. Here […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a four-part class on the Book of Galatians for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. The class is focusing on Paul’s teaching that salvation is based on what Christ did on the cross, that salvation is by faith and that life in Christ is based on the work of the Holy […]
- How do you respond to the claim that acc. to Josephus John the Baptist died 5 years after Jesus and that the gospel writers rewrote history to fit the Jesus narrative?
- John Oakes Sermons in Bakersfield: John XII Glorification of the King
- Were the Jews in the first century aware that the Christians claimed they were responsible for the death of Jesus? If the OT prophecies of the Messiah came true, why did Jews not believe in Jesus?
- The Gabriel inscription predicts a Messiah who would resurrect on the third day. W. L. Craig says that the Jews believed in a kingly Messiah would free them from Rome. Which is correct?
- Why do Christians say that the earth was created 6000 years ago? Why does God love us?
- How did Matthew learn about the dream that Pilate's wife had? What kind of person was Pontius Pilate? Is Ehrman right?
- Did Moses copy the Old Testament from other sources? If so, then is the Old Testament not reliable?
- Many say in an age of science the Bible cannot be reliable if it claims creation in just six days, given that evolution is proven. Your response?
- What are some good arguments to support the claim that evolution needs to have an intelligent creator in order for it to work?
- What is Kabbalah? Is it Gnosticism? Mysticism?