Dr. John Oakes will be featured in a podcast sponsored by “The TribeExchange” on Wed July 14th. The interviewers will be Elias and Rachel Delault as well as Christian Ray Flores. The topic will be church history, but the discussion ranges into modernism, postmodernism and much more. The podcast will be available on facebook or […]
John Oakes is now preaching regularly for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. We will be posting all of his sermons here. Services are now live streamed Sundays at 10:30 at www.bakersfieldchurchofchrist.com 7/25 Isaiah II Here Am I Send Me Isaiah II PPT Isaiah Sermon II Audio 7/21 Coming Home: Studying with People Coming […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a series of classes for the Sacramento Metro Church of Christ 7/9-11/21. Notes, power points and audio are here: Problem of Suffering PPT Pain and Suffering Audio Problem of Pain Notes Hebrews Audio I Hebrews Audio II Hebrews Notes Hebrews Living by Faith […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: My Muslim friend says: There were a number of oracles delivered by recognized prophets which did not come true. For example, Ezekiel predicted the destruction of Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar (Ezek. 26:7-14), but he himself later acknowledges that the king’s siege of the city was UNSUCCESSFUL (Ezek. 29:17-20). Both Haggai’s (2:21-23) & Zechariah’s (4:6-7) glorious […]
Question: The writings of several prophets were destroyed by the ruling class of the Jews. According to Justin Martyr, the Jews have omitted sayings by Jeremiah and Ezra, as well as the words “from the wood” after “The Lord reigns” in Psalm 95(96):10 (Dialogue with Trypho, 71-73). It means Jews were NOT honest keepers of […]
Question: In scriptures such as Leviticus 18:21, 2 Kings 23:10, and Jerimiah 32:35, the Bible seems to make it very clear that child sacrifice is evil, and not acceptable. However, In In Judges 11:34 – 40 it seems as though God is accepting the taking of a child as a sacrifice in exchange for allowing […]
Dr. John Oakes is doing a six-part series of classes on the Book of Revelation for several churches in the Persian Gulf region in July and August. Notes, PPT and audio will be posted here: Revelation notes Revelation PPT Revelation Audio I Revelation Audio II […]
Dr. John Oakes is giving a six-session class on Romans for the campus group in Bakersfield, CA. You can join on zoom (but better if you are college age) at 856 354 6038 pw 568399 Wed 7:30 3/10. 3/24, 4/7, 4/21, etc. Notes, PPT and audio will be posted here. Romans Notes Romans PPT […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a four-part series of lessons on how we as a church can create a home for the saved and for the lost through implementing the “one another” passages in the New Testament. The lessons were taught in Bakersfield Feb-April, 2021. Notes, power points and audio are included. One Another Notes […]
- The Book of Revelation
- Philo, a Jewish philosopher, lived from 20 BCE to 50 CE. He never mentioned the crucifixion. Why do we believe Josephus who mentioned Jesus long after he lived, but ignore Philo?
- John Oakes Sermons in Bakersfield Isaiah II Here Am I, Send Me
- Teaching Weekend in Sacramento: Problem of Suffering, Hebrews
- What is the best argument of atheists? Can science prove the existence of God? What about free will?
- The Bible makes it clear that sacrificing children is evil, yet he allowed Jephthah to sacrifice his daughter. Am I missing something?
- What are the scientific dates for the start and end of each of the six days of creation in Genesis 1?
- Where does the idea that God created the natural laws that act in the universe come from?
- The writings of several of the prophets were destroyed by the ruling class of the Jews. What is your response?
- Podcast on Church History and more with “The Tribe Exchange” July 15th