Dr. John Oakes is giving a lesson on the Christian and other worldviews for a campus conference this coming weekend Oct 24/25. The audio (but not the video) as well as the power point are available here. Christian Worldview PPT World View Audio […]
John Oakes is now preaching regularly for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. We will be posting all of his sermons here. Services are now live streamed Sundays at 10:30 at www.bakersfieldchurchofchrist.com See you there. 10/18 Luke VIII Jesus and Samaritans Luke VIII PPT Luke VIII Samaritans 10/11 Luke VII The Lost Son Luke […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a podcast on the Book of Hebrews, sponsored by Illumination Publishers (www.ipibooks.com), on four successive Mondays. Here are the power point and notes for the class: Hebrews PPT Hebrews Notes The audio for class #2,3 are here: Hebrews Webinar II Audio Hebrews Webinar III Audio Hebrewd IV Audio Here are the […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: Recently I got a question asked by a Muslim about the Bible and Jesus. It is this: The Bible says that anyone who is hung on a pole is under God’s curse (Deuteronomy 21:23). Using this verse they ask that if Jesus is the true Messiah by being crucified is he not cursed and […]
Question: Hi all at EFC, I was wondering, how do I help someone who asks “If God truly wants a relationship with me, why doesn’t he give evidence that he knows that I would have to believe in him.” Thanks. Answer: God provides us great mountains of evidence for his existence, and also that the […]
Question: Help me! Mythicists insist that Josephus’ account of Jesus of Nazareth in BK XVIII of his *antiquities* is a wholesale forgery. They also insist that the passage about “James the brother of Jesus who was called Messiah” is not, in fact, about Jesus of Nazareth but “Jesus, son of Damneus” They also insist […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a four-part class on the Book of Galatians for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. The class is focusing on Paul’s teaching that salvation is based on what Christ did on the cross, that salvation is by faith and that life in Christ is based on the work of the Holy […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a 12-hour class on Church History for campus interns in Bakersfield, California 7/24-25/2020. Notes, power point and audio are available here: Church History PPT church history notes Part I Church History Notes II Ch Hist Audio 1 Ch Hist Audio 2 Ch Hist Audio 3 Ch Hist Audio 4 […]
Dr. John Oakes taught a class on Christian theology. The class covered topics such as Trinity, the qualities of God, the problems of evil and suffering, theodicy, predestination, heaven and more. The class is now completed. Here are the notes, PPT, audio and link to the video. God: Christian Theology PPT God–Christian […]
- If everything comes from God, doesn't that mean that evil comes from God?
- Bible critics and atheists say that all nine of the non-Christian writers who wrote about Jesus of Nazareth are really just fabrications by Christians. Your response?
- Because the Jews use the 360 day calendar, when we calculate the 70 weeks in Daniel 9, and begin in 457 BC (Ezra 7), we end up at AD 18, which does not fit Jesus. How can this be reconciled?
- When did the ice age occur in the Bible?
- Many say that Paul was not a genuine Christian, including some influenced by N. T. Wright. What is your response?
- What is "The Book of the Annals of the Kings of Israel," mentioned in 2 Kings 1:18?
- I read that it is proved that the Jews were never enslaved in Egypt because there is not a single loan-word in ancient Egyptian from Hebrew or in ancient Hebrew from Egyptian. Response?
- Is it OK for a Christian to smoke mushrooms for healing, as is acceptable from an Eastern medical perspective? What about the spirit world?
- If God wants a relationship with us, why doesn't he give us evidence that would make us believe?
- The Bible says "cursed is anyone who is hung on a tree." If that is true, my Muslim friend asks how can Jesus be the Messiah?