Dr. John Oakes, along with his very good friends and colleagues, Dan Conder and Kedron Jones are teaching a series of three classes on Sat. 11/7, 11/14 and 11/21 at 9:00 Pacific Standard Time on answering the hard questions. Here is the link to register for the class: https://event.webinarjam.com/register/37/8rr9qan5 Topics include Why is there suffering […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a series of Christian Evidence classes for the Tucson Church of Christ. Notes, PPTs and audio are attached. Evidence for Jesus PPT EvidenceforJesus Audio History Archaeology and the Bible PPT Hist Arch and Bible Audio Christian Worldview PPT Christian Worldview Audio […]
John Oakes is now preaching regularly for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. We will be posting all of his sermons here. Services are now live streamed Sundays at 10:30 at www.bakersfieldchurchofchrist.com See you there. 11/29 John IV Jesus and Nicodemus John IV PPT 11/25 John III Jesus at Cana Notes John III PPT John III […]
Read, Watch & Listen
Question: What does the Bible mean when it says that God made man from dust? Answer: No one takes the statement that God made man from the dust of the earth literally–at least not that I know of. As far as I know, no one believes that God literally swept up some dust and miraculously […]
Question: In your opinion which is better, theistic evolution, natural evolution or evolutionary creation? Answer: I see no measurable difference between natural evolution and evolutionary creation. One is an essentially atheist view, while the other comes from believers, but as far as science is concerned, they cannot be distinguished. Both propose that all living things […]
[Editor’s note: There are several questions here. Answers are interspersed in italics] I am struggling with questions! I have so many and need to discuss with someone. 1) There is nothing that exists that was not created by GOD, so why make wickedness/evil to begin with? I am currently teaching a class in which I […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a class on Modernism and Postmodernism for the Dacca Church of Christ in Bangaladesh Saturday 10/24/2020. The class is not necessarily a condemnation of either modernism or postmodernism, but discusses the strengths and weaknesses of both, as well as where they fall short of being helpful to a Christian worldview. Here […]
Dr. John Oakes is teaching a four-part class on the Book of Galatians for the Bakersfield Church of Christ. The class is focusing on Paul’s teaching that salvation is based on what Christ did on the cross, that salvation is by faith and that life in Christ is based on the work of the Holy […]
Dr. John Oakes gave a series of classes on Christian Evidence topics for the Tucson Church of Christ in October, 2020 EvidenceforJesus Audio Tucson History Archaeology and Bible Audio Christian Worldview Audio Tucson Christian Worldview PPT ...
- Why did God make wickedness? Why pray if God has already decided what will happen? Are vaccines the mark of the beast?
- Why is abortion a sin? My friend tells me that since the fetus has no life for some weeks, it can be aborted, as it has no life.
- If Jesus did such great miracles and was resurrected, why don't non-Christians in the first century mention him in their writings?
- If humans created clones, would it be a sin to kill one of them? Would they have a soul? Also, why do people say that belief in God and in evolution is inconsistent?
- Is Matthew 16:28 (some of you will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom) about the second coming?
- What are the proper guidelines for Christians and the use of profanity and coarse language?
- If we use "copying errors" in the manuscripts to explain supposed biblical contradictions, doesn't that open the door for people to claim the Bible cannot be trusted?
- What does it mean in the Bible when it says that God made humans from dust?
- Which is the better opinion for a Christian: theistic evolution, natural evolution or evolutionary creation?